The Love Music Trust (“LMT” or “the Trust”) is committed to protecting your personal information and being transparent about what information we hold about you and your child and children in your care.
This privacy notice is intended for:
• Partners of the music education hub in Cheshire East;
• Schools in which we deliver tuition;
• Pupils participating in LMT ensembles and their parents/carers;
• Pupils receiving instrumental/vocal tuition from LMT or their parent/carer;
• Tutors operating as self-employed contractors on behalf of the Trust;
• Donors, benefactors and supporters of the Trust.
The purpose of this policy is to give a clear explanation as to how LMT uses the information we collect from the above parties. LMT is a ‘data controller’.
The lawful basis for obtaining and using personal data
LMT needs data in order to fulfil its contractual obligations with parents and schools in order to provide them with the education for which they or their children have applied. Parents or guardians with children under the age of 16 will act on behalf of their children. Children over 16 years of age are deemed competent to understand this privacy statement.
We will only process personal data where we have one of six ‘lawful bases’ to do so under Article 6 of the EU General Data Protection Regulations.
• To fulfil a contract with the individual, or when the individual has asked LMT to take specific steps before entering into a contract;
• For the legitimate interests of LMT (provided the individual’s rights and freedoms are not overridden);
• Where the individual (or their parent/carer if under the age of 16) has freely given consent.
• To comply with a legal obligation;
• To ensure the vital interests of the individual e.g. to protect someone’s life;
• To perform a task in the public interest.
The personal data we hold
LMT will use the information you provided in your initial application and may supplement this with additional information which you provide following this.
Personal data that we may collect, use, store and share (see Data Sharing below) about individuals includes, but is not restricted to:
• Your full name, title, date of birth and gender;
• Postal address, email address and phone number;
• IP (internet protocol) address e.g. cookies;
• Emergency contact details and contact preferences;
• Name of school attended;
• Any relevant individual educational needs;
• Details of any medical conditions or dietary requirements;
• Attendance information;
• Safeguarding information;
• Details of any support received;
• Gift Aid status;
• Payment card details (these are not stored);
• Photographs and video recording (see below);
• A signed copy of your loan agreement for any LMT assets (i.e. instruments) on loan to you.
Why we use this data
We use this data to:
• Administer, organise and deliver instrumental/vocal tuition, both in and out of school;
• Manage students’ registration, participation in, and progression through LMT programmes including school based music activities;
• Support student learning;
• Monitor and report on student progress;
• Provide appropriate pastoral care and ensure welfare of children while in our custody, particularly when on tours and residential courses;
• Protect student welfare and meet our legal obligations relating to child protection and safeguarding;
• Assess the quality of our services;
• Administer applicants waiting lists;
• Manage applications for financial support;
• Carry out research;
• Comply with contractual / regulatory obligations e.g. reporting to the Arts Council;
• Share with partners for joint activities;
• Administer payments and donations including the processing of Gift Aid;
• Keep you updated with LMT activities that are relevant to you;
• Offer you opportunities to engage further with our activities;
• Further fundraising activities on behalf of LMT;
• Keep in touch with our alumni;
• Generate publicity and advertise LMT’s services;
• Promote events / concerts;
• Celebrate the success of our students and raise awareness of their achievements;
• Help achieve the Trust’s charitable aims: to offer a broad music education curriculum to all pupils in Cheshire East which as a minimum fulfils the requirements of the NPME; to provide opportunities for music tutors to grow and develop their skills and therefore deliver ever better activities; to encourage “joined up” progression through pupils’ musical development up to and including the most prestigious National levels; to encourage prominent “role model” musicians to work with Cheshire East pupils; to support and encourage appropriate breadth and depth of ensembles; to encourage as many primary schools as possible to engage with the first musical step of “Wider Opportunities”; to identify and support emerging talent; to encourage greater involvement at all levels in singing, including to the highest levels; to apply the best of new thinking to all of our musical education, including the increasing use of digital technologies.
Photographs and Video Recording
As part of LMT’s activities, we will take photographs and record videos of groups and performers at events for which LMT is an organiser or contributor. Such material will be used solely by LMT for publicity e.g. prospectuses and other similar information about the Trust, displayed on our premises, on banners at concerts and on our website, assessment, educational and social media purposes, fundraising or other purposes to help achieve the Trust’s aims.
When using photographs and videos for publicity, display or website purposes, we will not accompany them with any other personal information about the child, to ensure they cannot be identified. Although we will carefully use images on the basis of our ‘legitimate interests’ (see above), we understand there may be occasions where individuals give good reason why we should withdraw certain images.
If you ask us to withdraw an image with good cause, we will delete the photograph or video and not distribute it further. Images that might cause embarrassment or distress will not be used.
Where it is legally required, or necessary for the reasonable undertaking of our business activities (and it complies with data protection law) we may share personal information with:
• Financial organisations (e.g. GoCardless, Xero, Stripe) - to enable payment processing and debt collection;
• Schools – where we provide tuition for your child in partnership with their school, LMT and the school act as joint data controllers;
• Suppliers and service providers (e.g. G Suite, Sound Advice/Stepwize, Sandbach School, Current RMS) – to enable them to provide the service we have contracted them for;
• Central government (e.g. the Department for Education, Arts Council England, the Charity Commission) – to meet the obligations of our hub funding agreement;
• Local government (e.g. Cheshire East Council) - to meet our legal obligations to share certain information with it, such as safeguarding concerns;
• Our auditors (e.g. Howard Worth Chartered Accountants) – to meet our legal obligation as a business and registered charity to be regularly audited;
• Tutors operating as self-employed contractors on behalf of the Trust – to enable them to contact you directly regarding a child’s tuition or ensemble membership;
• Travel companies and tour operators – to enable them to set up and administer travel or tour arrangements connected with a tour led by LMT;
• Outdoor education centres (e.g. Conway Centres, Stanley Head Outdoor Education Centre) – to ensure pupil safety on residential trips and to ensure any individual needs are met;
• Examination boards (e.g. Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music, Trinity College London, London College of Music, Rockschool) – to enter pupils for graded music examinations;
• Health and social welfare organisations;
• Professional advisers and consultants;
• Police forces, courts, tribunals.
Security of your personal data
We will put in place appropriate safeguards (both in terms of our procedures and the technology we use) to keep your personal information confidential and as secure as possible. Your data will only be accessible to authorised staff and volunteers. We will ensure that any third parties we use for processing your personal information do the same.
Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
Information will be stored for only as long as it is needed or required by statute and will be disposed of appropriately.
We will not transfer, process or store your data anywhere that is outside of the European Economic Area.
We undertake to report any data breaches in accordance with Data Protection Act and General Data Protection Regulations guidelines.
Your rights to your personal information
You have the right to request a copy of the personal information that we hold about you and to have any inaccuracies in this data corrected. Please use the contact details at the end of this policy if you would like to exercise this right. As joint data controllers with schools, we will co-operate with valid requests from schools to supply them with information we hold about children who are joint students.
Contact details and further information
Please get in touch with us if you have any questions about any aspect of this privacy notice, and in particular if you would like to object to any processing of your personal information that we carry out for our legitimate organisational interests.
All enquiries relating to this policy and/or the storage of your personal information by LMT should be addressed to:
Iain McKnight (Data Protection Officer)
The Love Music Trust
Unit 2A Bradwall Court
Email: [email protected]